Thursday, July 26, 2012

I did it.

I passed my driving test today.

I wasn't nervous. I wouldn't let myself be nervous. I tried convincing myself I'm ready, I can do this. I was doubtful. Not nervous.

The receptionist told me to wait downstairs for car number four. I hastily read last-minute parking tips on my phone while waiting as the minutes stretched longer and longer. I spotted number four in the parking lot as a girl my age had gotten out. Her mother, who had been waiting for her outside, anxiously called if she passed. The girl confirmed. She said that the instructor was ready for me, and that it was his birthday today.

This has to be a good sign. 


The man was friendlier that I had imagined him. I wished him a happy birthday. "Word gets around doesn't it?"

I had already driven on the course beforehand. It's easy. The car's brake took a little getting used to and the roads were just a little wet, but I wouldn't let this intimidate me.

I drove, cautiously and attentively, but making sure I didn't go below the speed limit. I've been screamed at to accelerate too many times to let that be my downfall.

I waited at a light to turn left. Across from me was a car with its right blinker on, turning the same way I was. I waited for the car to turn. It was his right away after all. The instructor said "Are you paying attention?" Surely I was. "To the light?" I looked up, realizing that it had been a few precious seconds since I actually looked up, as I was concentrating on the other car. I had a green turn arrow. The other car had to have had a red arrow.

I thought, oh no, please don't let that fail me. But there was still a part inside of me that knew that it wouldn't have. It shouldn't have. I made sure to drive a perfect I could to make up for it.

There was also a wave of confidence that hit me. The hardest part was over. Getting out on the road is tough in the first place, but hat intersection is the most difficult part on this course. But I passed it. Just drive, Eric.

And I did. Parking was stressful as parking will always be, but after I botched backing in on the right, I was able to fix it so that my parking job was good. Good enough.

We pulled over at the end of the course. I'm done. The instructor said the one thing I needed to hear. "Good job."

I passed.

As I rode the elevator up back to All Star's office, I was a mix of exhilaration and calm and confidence and fulfillment and peace.

This is for the driving instructor who told me I was going to fail. This is for the father who gave me nothing but a negative attitude and flawed driving techniques. This is for the brother that was done giving me rides. This is for the kid whose confidence was broken. This is for me.

My 1999 Maxima sits in the driveway in anticipation. I don't get my physical license until Tuesday, plus I have to get insured, but that doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm ready to go. I'm ready to get in a car, alone, and drive. Drive without scrutiny in my ear. Drive where I want to go, and how I want to get there. I'm ready to do this by myself.

I'm ready to grow up.

1 comment:

  1. well i'm glad that one of us is ready at least =/

    congrats again by the way!

    ReplyDelete