I mounted the stairs to the bus that would soon take me home from this hell hole that we call school. I noticed our usual bus driver was not there, instead, in her place, was the blonde sub who our whole bus had hated.
I got in my seat, fourth from the back, left side, and Patrick quickly followed. I stuffed my backpack between the seat and myself and made room for him.
I stared out the window for the majority of the bus ride. I relfected upon my awful day, thanking God and all his affiliations that the day was over. "Are you ok?" Patrick had asked me. "Yea, I'm fine." Was my response.
My eyes fixed upon the outside, he asked me again. My response was the same, but that did not stop him for asking me again. My slight headache was growing, so I did not answer him again.
Somewhere from behind me, someone had thrown a maxi pad in our direction, hitting Patrick in the face. "Who has a pencil?" I heard Drew scream to those surrounding him. 10 minutes passed, my eyes still drawn to the window. "Who threw that?" I heard the bus driver. Apparently, someone had thrown a pencil at her.
She then turned into Smokerise, and pulled over. She said "I refuse to move until you tell me who threw that pencil?" No response. We waiting for 7 minutes until Drew said "I did!" We all knew he didn't, and the bus driver did to. So we waited.
Tension grew amongst everyone. Some people had cursed the sub in foreign languages, some called parents, some wandered aimlessly among the bus. Patrick and I had moved to sit near Matt.
About a quarter of the people were crying [why you may ask? I don't know.] Drew and Rachel called their Dad, and he promptly drove down the street, in an attempt to pick them up. "No." The bus driver said. "I'm not letting any of you off the bus.
Amber had grown tired of this all. She called her brother to pick her up. At the sight of his car, she jumped out of the bus, via the emergency exit. Drew and Rachel did the same.
Their dad argued, but his effort was futile. He slowly paced around the bus, on the phone. Drew had yelled proudly "He's calling the cops!" And then he did the same.
The bus driver had started to cry. I felt bad, but what was I to do? I didn't know who threw it. After 10 minutes, the cops arrived. "This never happened before..." Murmured the sub. She exited the bus and talked to the two police officers.
After several minutes, one of the cops came aboard. "Who knows who threw the pencil?" He asked the bus. Nobody said anything.
The cop left, and the other one came on. He asked us all individually if we had seen the pencil fly threw the air. Yes was the majority response amongst the 6ths graders and 7th graders who sat in the front. Then the cop came to me. "Did you see the pencil?" "No," I had said, truthfuly, "but I heard people talking about one."
"So... you heard them talk about a pencil?" He had said, looking suspiciously. "Yes." He then proceeded to ask everyone else. They all said no, which some of them had lied, since they must have seen it. They were all one big gang back there.
"Well, all the kids in the front said yes." Said the cop. "So the kids in the back must know something." He came to me. He asked for my name and address. I gave it to him. He asked everyone behind me, including Matt and Patrick, who God knows they had nothing to do with it.
"Alright." He said. "I'll give the school your names. They'll decide if you can ride the bus again or not." I was nervous as hell. I had never spoken to a cop before unless he was out of uniform or my DARE instructor. I had never been in trouble. I never even gotten a lunch detention, never mind a blue slip.
I got home 50 minutes later than usual. I explained the story to Danielle, Nick, and my mom. She said she would call the school.
And that is why I hate my bus.
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment